Hotel Singer: hospitality since 1928
The extraordinary story of an extraordinary family
We, your hosts the Singer family, have dedicated ourselves to the well-being of our guests since 1928 and have transformed our 4-star superior Relais & Châteaux hotel in Berwang into one of the most exclusive retreats in Tyrol. Our visionary spirit has led to a lot of changes at the hotel, at the lifts, and in Berwang.
- 1928. Hotel owner Florian Singer’s grandparents, Hans Singer Jr and his wife Irma, move at the young age of 22 to Berwang, high on the mountain, and open a modern Alpine hotel. The 30-room accommodation soon attracts many guests.
- 1931. Irma and Hans Singer welcome their son, Günter, to the world – but not just anywhere – he is the only Singer child born directly at the hotel, in what is now known as room 104. Maybe it was fate because many years later, Günter takes over running of the hotel.
- 1932. Eight metres next to the main hotel building, the so-called small building with an additional 20 beds is built.
- 1933. The National Socialists seizure of power and the associated introduction of the “1,000 Mark Block” – every German has to pay 1,000 Reichsmark at the border to travel to Austria – result in the absence of German guests. Hans Singer and other hoteliers go all the way to the Netherlands, where they organise a collaboration with travel agencies to send their clients to beautiful Tyrol. But the beginning of the Second World War also dries up this alternative stream of guests. Until the end of the war, the Hotel Singer remains a temporary home for the air force.
- 1947. In June of 1947, French occupying forces withdraw, and the hotel reopens its doors.
- 1950. Money from the Marshall Plan helps connect the small and large hotel buildings through a new hotel lobby and reception. Further renovations and construction, such as a skittle alley and a newly designed dining hall, follow.
- 1956. As an equal partner, Hans Singer, together with Berwang’s council, build the Sonnenlift directly next to the Hotel Singer. Additional lifts – such as the Höniglift and the Hochalmlift – follow.
- 1957. Günter Singer returns home at the age of 26 after working abroad for high-end hotels. Together with his parents, he grows the family-run hotel. After the separation of his parents, Günter runs the hotel with his mother; his father keeps the lift shares.
- 1967-1975. Thanks to Günter’s bold approach, hard work, the steadfast support of his wife Gerti, and a bit of luck, he makes many of his dreams come true. He fully integrates the two hotel buildings into one, installs its first passenger lift, and opens the à la carte restaurant as well as the Singer Stub’n dance hall, which becomes the meeting place in Berwang, offering live music, delicious food, and five o’clock tea. The modern Alpine hotel becomes a cosy, elegant hotel with Tyrolean style, where special attention is paid to tailored guest experiences and high-quality service.
- 1978. At last, the dream of replacing the existing roof with a traditional Tyrolean pitched roof is finally realised. This building project creates the possibility to build a fourth storey with new comfortable rooms and significantly changes the hotel’s appearance.
- 1980. The new restaurant with a Tyrolean “stube”, a parlour-like dining area furnished in stone pine, opens: what is known now as today’s Restaurant 1928.
- 1982. The current hotel owner, Florian Singer, is born and the first small wellness area with a whirlpool, sauna, fitness room, and solarium is built.
- 1984. New hotel kitchen, expanded wine cellar, and a new laundry room.
- 1985. The Hotel Singer becomes a member of the renowned Relais & Châteaux hotel association. This same year the hotel founder, Irma Singer, passes away.
- 1986. The large apartments and suites in stone pine wood are built above the kitchen.
- 1988. Construction of the staff accommodation with underground car park
- 1990. Construction of the impressive entrance hall with an open staircase and hand-forged chandelier, including a new reception, offices, and a gallery and fireplace lounge.
- 1990. After the passing of Hans Singer in 1987, his lift shares are divided between the siblings: Hans and Günter Singer each become 25% shareholders of Sonnenlift and Hochalmlift
,start working together with Berwang’s council to modernise the two single chair lifts next to the Hotel Singer.
- 1991. The modernised Sonnalmbahn lift opens, and the first snowmaking system in Berwang is put into operation. In addition, the neighbouring building, the Chalet Singer, is purchased for future expansion.
- 1993. Renovation of numerous bathrooms in the hotel
- 1998. Renovation of the Tiroler Stube and the Singer Stube
- 2002. Firstacquisition of a lift company, specifically the Mulden and Hönig lifts
- 2004. After an enriching year abroad, Florian Singer returns to his parents’ business, which he will take over completely in the following years.
- 2005. The Sporthotel Singer changes its name to the Singer Sporthotel & SPA with a 3-storey 1,800 m2 wellness area in its own building, framed by the 10,000 m2 Alpine relaxation garden. This same year, Florian Singer and his wife Christina get to know each other. Christina first works as a receptionist and then as a management assistant in the hotel.
- 2006. Merger between the two lift companies Berwanger Sonnalmbahn and Bichlbacher Bergbahnen
- 2007. Construction of the first combined lift in Tyrol: the Almkopfbahn. In the hotel: renovation of 9 Raazalp rooms.
- 2008 – 2011. Extensive renovation of the rooms and suites to give the hotel a modern yet traditional look. In addition, the hotel terrace is redesigned, the gallery & fireplace hall and the Zirbenstube are newly furnished.
- 2009. Construction of the Egghof Sunjet, a child-safe 6-seater chairlift
- 2011. Günter Singer is declared an honorary citizen by the Berwang council on his 80th birthday.
- 2012. The renowned Gault & Millau Guide awards the gourmet restaurant Tiroler Stube one Toque for the first time – the only restaurant in the Tiroler Zugspitz Arena with this honour.
- 2013. Florian and Christina Singer marry.
- 2015. The Singers mourn the passing of Günter Singer.
- 2016. The largest lift operators merge and now operate as the “Bergbahnen Berwang” (Berwang lifts). The Singer family remain shareholders – owning almost 50% of the shares. Planning the modernisation of the Thaneller ski area begins.
- 2017. Florian and Christina Singer’s daughter and fourth-generation Singer, Leonie, is born. Start of the ambitious “2017 – 2019” renovation project in the hotel: A large extension, which, in addition to technical and logistical innovations, also includes the new S-Lounge outdoor bar. Meanwhile, the new Sonnen Stube dining area is built, the staff accommodation is expanded, and 12 rooms are once again completely renovated, including the first rooms in the Hönig category.
- 2018. Renovation of the rooms continues, among others, the family rooms Steinkarspitze are renovated and more rooms of the Hönig category are added.
- 2019. The old Singer Stub’n is transformed into the new panorama rooms on the ground floor of the hotel with an open bathroom, private terrace, and hot tub. The ski room is expanded and the entrance area is given a facelift, along with the logo and the hotel name. In addition, Bergbahnen Berwang begins the largest single investment in its history: the construction of the Upper Karbahn I, a 10-person gondola lift from the ski school meeting point towards Thaneller, along with the development of the accompanying slopes and snow-making equipment. With two other partners, the multifunctional building “B-Active Center” is also built.